Divasoria

Just Kids

with 19 comments

with all this 90s nostalgia going on, especially with 20th anniversary of the release of nirvana’s nevermind and pearl jam’s ten, i felt the need to post something about grunge.

Just Kids _ Grunge

of all the youth movements that have gone before us, “grunge” was the cultural touchstone that dominated the psyche and zeitgeist of my generation. there was something about the melancholic mood of the US pacific northwest, the grit of gnawing guitars and the sound of depressive rock stars that just melded well with what we were going through in 1991-1994 – we were all on the verge of adolescence filled with confusion, rage and hormones. and with nirvana’s seminal hit “smells like teen spirit”, the title alone made every 12-13-14 year old kid in 1991 feel like this song was for ME!

Just Kids _ Grunge

i was enamored by the whole scene and most especially loved the movie singles, it was a tragically hip movie of the time, a story of 20-somethings living the life in seattle. and it also came with the most amazing soundtrack ever. this cult classic dictated the music, lifestyle and fashion of the early 90s. i remember having to pause the laser disc every so often to take note of bridget fonda’s clothes.

Just Kids _ Grunge

i had also begged my mother to buy me doc marten’s boots and flannel on melrose ave. i also bought several bootcut ripped jeans and granny/kinderwhore dresses from contempo casuals. just like angela chase and rayanne graf of my so-called life.

Just Kids _ Grunge

if you’re a girl my age and had a rebellious streak, you were bound to be a grunge girl – opinionated, independent, strong, adventurous and a little ahead of your time. this was because of all the cool 90s chicks who were so popular back then. and here are some of my own favorites-

90schicksrule

glam rock had all the groupies that came hand-in-hand with the music, 90s grunge had these chicks. kim gordon, shirley manson, PJ harvey, liz phair, darcy, tori amos, melissa auf der maur, hope sandoval – all these women were just so amazing. i remember being 14 or 15 and watching MTV and seeing how badass they were. they all spoke their minds and rocked as hard as their male contemporaries.

when i look at pop/rock stars of this generation, i feel they lack the chutzpah and depth of the women we looked up to in the 90s. they’re all so boring and cookie-cutter and i also think kids today don’t have shared cultural high points anymore. maybe it’s technology’s fault – they can access videos and music at their own convenience via the internet.

modern pleasures are not entirely a bad thing but this also lends to a generation consisting of little islands of people. my peers? we had come of age in an era where everything stopped when the new soundgarden video came out or the first time a new rage against the machine song played on NU. we also had the collective shock of hearing one of the heroes of our generation committing suicide. everybody remembers where they were when they heard the news that kurt cobain shot himself.

kurt-cobain

so it makes me smile to hear that a few young ones discover grunge and that whole early 90s scene and they start worshipping the same artists we loved growing up. and why not? i think my peers and i turned out quite well.

that said, i feel a little old yet nostalgic whenever i read or hear things about the music that dominated my youth. as they say, the music you were listening to when you were 14 stays with you forever and i couldn’t agree more. when i get sick of hearing all these hipster-y stuff, i click to my “grunge” playlist and i instantly feel like i’m a kid again.

despite all the trappings and luxuries of modern adulthood, i still feel like that grunge girl back in the 90s – i like to rock out in my flannels, ripped jeans and doc marten’s when the occasion calls for it. and i’m still a little bit fascinated by a rock scene of the past and re-living the good old days.

and seriously – those were REALLY good times. like this :

and i was there!

Written by divasoria

September 19th, 2011 at 6:00 am

Posted in music,pop culture

Tagged with ,

19 Responses to 'Just Kids'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Just Kids'.

1. Grunge Girl here!

Teensy

19 Sep 11 at 8:31 am

2. <3

anonymuse

19 Sep 11 at 9:06 am

3. I’ve always wanted to wear those clothes, but my mother wont even let me wear black. :|

allthingsviolet

19 Sep 11 at 11:11 am

4. WHAT? if that happened to me, that will probably eliminate 99.9% of my wardrobe. i love black!

divasoria

19 Sep 11 at 11:21 am

5. AMEN. the first concert i ever attended was pearl jam’s. i still feel giddy when i tell the “kids” nowadays how that went.

manilamommy

19 Sep 11 at 1:07 pm

6. I think people my age are fringe-grunge. the very last of that generation, those with ates and kuyas who were genuinely grunge. My HS batch had ‘smells like teen spirit’ as one of our cheerdance songs, haha. and a green day song was our grad song (punk). And this was a nun-run all girls’ school, ha. We were confused little rebels.

ethelkatrina

19 Sep 11 at 1:51 pm

7. I became a teenager in the tail-end of the 90s, so I can’t relate to everything you just wrote about but I can relate to:
    (1) Angela Chase- my parents thought I was too young for My So Called Life, but I watched it when I can anyway.
    (2) Shirley Manson – she, to me, is the ultimate frontwoman. She is so COOL. And that voice! Where is she now anyway?

And agree about what you said about the current pop/rock stars. They’re all so… meh.

Kat

19 Sep 11 at 2:08 pm

8. I Am sad that even though we promote girl power in music nowadays, I wanted to know whatever happened to the likes of Liz phair, Fiona apple, pj harvey and all girl band like L7 and bikini kill?

Jackie

19 Sep 11 at 6:23 pm

9. You don’t know how much I love this post, G.

toni

19 Sep 11 at 9:57 pm

10. aww you guys!!! :) grunge girls for life!!

jackie – pj harvey released an album a few months ago, still pretty amazing!! as for all-girl bands, those i miss immensely!! i used to want to get my knuckles tattooed “riot grrl” jejejejeje

divasoria

19 Sep 11 at 10:03 pm

11. I sometimes tweet to Pearl Jam, requesting them to come to the Philippines. Haha! I would love to watch them LIVE. I was still young when they went here, I wish I had the chance to see them. I’m a big fan of 90’s grunge music!

Btw, great blog :)

Dea

20 Sep 11 at 8:52 am

12. Great post. Bands of the 90’s had balls. No auto tune only great producers like Butch Vig and Rick Rubin.

nathanyogi

20 Sep 11 at 12:06 pm

13. dea – aww so cute!! :) pearl jam live in MNL 2011/12? calling ovation! LOL

nathanyogi – I AGREE! have you listened to the new foo fighters? that’s pretty awesome. produced by butch vig, too!

divasoria

21 Sep 11 at 5:51 am

14. You know that outfit Clair Danes is wearing… its kinda in vogue again these days. LOL

15. IT IS!!! the hipster kids are into granny clothes which is a tamer version of 90s kinderwhore/riotgirl. remember floral dresses with combat boots?

divasoria

23 Sep 11 at 10:47 am

16. I’m lucky to watch Pearl Jam live in their PJ20 concert in East Troy, WI. OMFG, they are freakin’ ridiculous. I almost peed my pants when Chris Cornell went to the stage and sang Hunger Strike with Eddie. Cool blog btw.

aleng

28 Sep 11 at 5:44 am

17. i would’ve peed in my pants if i saw chris cornell x eddie vedder sing hunger strike! well, i would pee in my pants if i saw soundgarden live!

divasoria

28 Sep 11 at 8:05 am

18. [...] etc.- all of which, if not for her, I wouldn’t have discovered. That said, legions of local riot grrls including myself owe part of their “coolness” to Myrene – she was and is THE [...]

19. I just read this, it was linked to Maps’ article. Aw, I was 9 yrs old when I discovered Pearl Jam. This got me misty-eyed!

Marian