Archive for September, 2009
my dogs are all safe, dry and comfy under the sheets but a lot of pets are not as lucky. if you love animals as much as i do, please don’t forget about the other victims of this calamity
PAWS is opening its doors for the dog and cat evacuees! Please have a heart and extend a helping hand to the innocent animals! You can also help by donating dog/cat food and cages/shelters with roofs. The shelter is located in Katipunan. Please repost! Exact Address and Contact numbers are: Aurora Blvd., Katipunan Valley, Loyola Heights Q.C. Telefax: 4751688
<via saab magalona>
as you all know, manila and the provinces around it was devastated by typhoon ondoy. in a span of 6 hours, a month’s worth of rain was dumped in my metropolis. floods swelled and many people displaced and hurt/killed. if you want to compare this to hurrican katrina, metro manila received 410 meters of rain in a day. new orleans had 380 meters.
here are a few ways to help:
Tulong Bayan hotlines for donations and volunteers are 09086579998 (Marilyn), 09393633436 (Jenn) (via @Echiz3nRy0ma)
Rubber boat requests 838-3203, 838-3354/Bagyong 7342118, 7342120 / PAGASA 4338526/National Disaster Council 9125668, 9111406
FILipino friends abroad who wanted to hear news about typhoon Ondoy http://www.dzmm.com.ph/dzmm-stream.html
981-1950 to 59 KAPUSO HELPLINE. http://gmanews.tv www.gmakapusofoundation.com
UP College of Arts and Letters is accepting donations for the victims of typhoon Ondoy. Donation center at CAL/text 0929-6454102
For those living in the US: you can donate through the American Red Cross (1-800-435-7669)
If you know anyone who has a missing relative/friend, put it in this list http://bit.ly/5A4Cz
NEED RESCUE – Call Lydia Ragasa 09178140655-> CHOPPER FROM PETRON AND SMC (via Nikka Yabut) (via @chiniehdiaz)
Sahana Disaster Managerment http://bit.ly/333I4l
all those who want to donate, food and clothes are needed. food and water are the priority, specifically bottled water and prepared food. theere are various relief centers – Ateneo, Xavier, LSGH, ABS-CBN, GMA7.
if you are in the makati cbd area,you can drop off your donations at my office. i’m along ayala ave. just leave a comment with your email and mobile # and i will get back to you ASAP.
interesting link/book i got from wysgal, it’s a book called “why men marry some women and not others“. this book is based on 3000 interviews and statistical data. some are pure common sense, but a few of the things in the book are very interesting.
i read a summary of the book and starts off with the six basic guidelines for women to get married:
1. Insist on it. (CHECK)
2. If you find yourself in a dead-end relationship, move on.(OK WILL TRY)
3. Love yourself first.(CHECK
4. Commit yourself to the idea of getting married (uhmmm i was into it a couple of years ago, now i’m like in limbo about this, BUT FINE)
5. Keep in shape, watch your weight, and take care of your appearance (TRYING!!!!)
6. Time is running out—use time wisely in your search for the marrying man (NOTED)
i’ve learned a lot of things, maybe you should try reading it too.
you know you love me.
now the secret is out. my friends and i have this little hideaway tucked in the middle of a residential section in quezon city filled with quaint restaurants, quiet nights and interesting conversation. it’s a place we like to call the maginhawa experience.
kevin ching aka @chinkchilla on twitter features the following -
and you can read all about them here. if you see us there, say hi.
i hate that you showed me looklet.com. my office productivity went down a couple of notches last friday and i’m sure i wasn’t alone as all the gays and girls on my twitter follow list were all doing looklet themselves. we will just tell our bosses that it’s all the fault of chuvaness.
anyway, too bad i’m disqualified(rule #8 SUCKS!) in joining the free cellphone contest but here are a few outfits that i put together @ looklet.
birthday grace – it’s weird but i have the exact same dress and same cuff(of course it looks better on the model!!). which i both wore for my birthday.
i just wish looklet had more bags and shoes, i surprisingly have a better collection. :/
the very first time i saw the trailer of vilma santos’ comeback movie with star cinema, i was beyond excited. vilma santos + gay son + new york city? it’s almost natural that i’d want to see that!
yes, i love local movies. i think they’re fun and campy. some are actually pretty good and some are so bad that it becomes good. and yes i LOVE vilma santos. chuvaness is a certified noranian while i love ate vi but admittedly, not to a point to be called a vilmanian. but still. so the point is – i was bound to watch “in my life” on its first day.
my verdict – the trailer is waaaay better than the actual movie. my favorite vilma santos line in the trailer was “anak, bumabalik ka na naman sa mga ER” as shirley templo(I KID YOU NOT) was lecturing her gay son, mark templo(to all UP peeps of my generation, i almost fell off my seat because i thought i heard MIKE templo). and i will try to translate that particular line as best as i can – “son, you’re going back to your blue collar type”. LOL. and guess what, they edited the damn thing out!
to those who are not familiar with pinoy gayspeak, the term “ER” refers to blue collar – laborER, drivER, janitER(sic). my twitter friend mark said, in jest, that “ER” can also be used in lawyER, doctER(sic), enginER. LOL. but i digress.
the movie had SOME funny moments but they were few and far between. and cecile and i had a lot of issues about the new york setting. here are a few of them:
- mark templo lives in a brownstone lane in the upper west side and there are sirens 24/7. ok FYI folks, i lived in the upper west side and near brownstones. the sirens do not set off every 5 seconds.
- the apartment where nikki whatsherface lives has the interior of a manila condotel. a cross between richmonde and discovery
- rafael rossell has the dumbest american accent. firstly, he’s norwegian. secondly, the accent is neither here nor there. he sounded like a bad call center agent.
- the best bagels are found in H&H.
- there are a lot better looking older guys than eli in NYC!!! omg. NYC is cuteness heaven. even old guys take care of themselves.
- during a scene in a gay club, why are there VERY FEW HOT GAY MEN. as my last bullet point said, NYC is cuteness heaven. and gay new yorkers ARE HOT and NUMEROUS.
- NYC/NJ parks do not have carabao grass. you think you can fool people by filming scenes at the ninoy aquino parks and wildlife? OMG. so not designed by FREDERICK LAW OLMSTED.
- NYC funeral homes do not have SM home trash cans, potted fern plants and large signs with CHAPEL D at the door.
- the A&C train straddles the west side. for the life of me, i do not know how vilma got to east harlem. did she take a cross town bus? please explain.
- again, NJ mcmansions do not have carabao grass. i repeat, the tri-state area does not have CARABAO GRASS
- and why aren’t my NYC gay friends in any of the scenes? it’s so odd. all of them are like NYC gay pinoy staples. they must be an extra in one or two scenes especially in the funeral scene!!!
ok these are just a few comments on top of my head. oh yah! JLC looked fug. like loren haggarda fug in his NYC shots. no liz uy perhaps? and yah, props to the half-naked shots of luis manzano and rafael rossell playing ultimate frisbee in central park. SoNY, they got that right.
we really wanted to love the movie but we were just supremely disappointed. but hey, i have to give it to the ending. i had to hold cecile’s and jay’s hand in shock. it was that unexpected.
photo credit – chuvaness
the museum of broken relationships is hitting out fair third world shores today, september 15th at Greenbelt 3. the museum itself is one dedicated to broken hearts, a universal theme everybody can relate to. myself included. from the website -
“The Museum of Broken Relationships is an art concept which proceeds from the assumption that objects possess integrated fields – ‘holograms’ of memories and emotions – and intends with its layout to create a space of ‘secure memory’ or ‘protected remembrance’ in order to preserve the material and nonmaterial heritage of broken relationships”
if i weren’t so busy, i would have made a wonderful little collage of divasoria’s heartaches. one of which is an old anorak jacket from north face. or maybe that boarding ticket to atlanta. or photos of my 11 year old maltese, niccolo.
i think this whole process of giving things that remind us of past loves is like a bond, a stamp that lonely and broken hearts are never truly isolated nor alone.
for more info, visit the spoils of love.
award winning and up-and-coming designer vanessa ang, childstar-turned-sexy actress angelica panganiban and divasoria. chuvaness always said that we look like long lost sisters. vanessa as the chinese sib, angelica as the mestiza sib and me as the in between ate (older sister). ahahahaha.
so cecile took the opportunity of the three sisters all being in one event, the heather miss grey launch. fine, angelica was a standee but i’ve seen her in person, she’s that tiny. LOL!